10 Minute Race Paced Efforts
by Barry Stokes
This cycling workout can be done on the trainer or on the road.
- 5 min easy pedaling then 3 x's through one leg pedal drills done as 30 sec right leg, 30 sec both legs, 30 sec left leg, 1 min recovery.
- 2 minute easy spin
- 4 x 10 min @ 80 - 95 rpms w/1 min recovery following each 10 min set.
- Gearing = large front chain ring & 15, 17, 19 in rear.
- Focus on H/R Z 2 & low H/R Z 3; RPE = 9 - 14.
- During the 1 min recovery segments, shift to small front chain ring, stay in same rear gearing.
- Use the 1 min to eat, drink, stretch, stand, relax shoulders & arms. (This is race day rehearsal using
run/walk strategy on the bike.)
5 minute easy spin
total = 1:05:00